Saturday 2 July 2011

MelJayNaray Poem: The Distant Star

Now this poem was one I wrote when I was 16 or 17 years old back in 2004. I began to get a desire to pursue with poetry and explored the idea of having my poems published online. Aww, I was so young back then and very excited to have people like my poems enough to display them on their websites- that feeling has never really left me and I hope it never does! This is quite a gloomy one actually, it is meant to reflect someone who is feeling extremely low, unloved, useless and actually makes me want to cry! It is not autobiographical I have to say- I was quite a happy 16/ 17 years old- and fortunate not to have suffered any soul-destroying life events that could make me feel like the poetic voice of The Distant Star. I have always had a very active imagination, and wanted to write as though someone who was in a really dark place...I'm not really sure why, but I'm very glad I did, because I'll never forget the feeling of seeing this poem published on the following website:

http://www.rabbitpress.com/danny/joinpoetry.html

I was over the moon! And I really hope that if I ever did feel like the poetic voice in the poem, or if any of you do, that you'll find your glowing candles deep within before blowing them out <3


Special thanks for the people involved with the website who published my poem- you made a young girl very very happy :) Also my huge thanks to the following blogger who also chose my poem for their blog- I am ever so grateful!

http://silverwolfen.blogspot.com/2008/06/distant-star.html

I've made some minor changes to the poem since then- one line in particular that I wasn't completely happy with, but apart from that, it's much the same as the original I wrote



The Distant Star
By Melanie Jay Narayanasamy

I am the distant star that no one sees.
You may stare at me although I’m not there.
I gently tiptoe past you like the breeze,
Floating by free for all the world to share.

I am the distant star that no one knows.
To find my name you’d need a cryptic clue.
Best avoided like the thorn of a rose.

Just leave me at the end of the infinite queue


I am the distant star that was your friend.
Our friendship reached the heights of the giant oak.
I waited for the card you didn’t send,
And one by one the branches slowly broke.

I am the distant star that people taunt.
Ignored but laughed at, an object of scorn.
Forever a ghost with no one to haunt,
A dusty gravestone that no one will mourn.

I am the distant star that people think,
Will always be an unsightly blemish.
And with every cruel word I quickly shrink,
Feeling starved with every meal I cherish.

I am the distant star that tried to speak,
To ask why there were no wounds where it hurt.
But I keep the tears that never leak,
So there’s nothing to wash away the dirt.

I am the distant star that didn’t know,
Inside myself the beauty I would find.
For within me many candles glow,
But I blew them out because I was blind.

© Melanie Jay Narayanasamy 2011

1 comment:

  1. I am so in love with this poem, it is amazing! It's seriously like you wrote it about me!! Much love, Sian xoxo

    ReplyDelete