Monday 11 July 2011

MelJayNaray Poem: Ten Little Animal Friends

Hi all! Here's a poem that has taken a couple of years to get it to its current form! I started this during my university years and got the idea after watching the film "And then there were none" one afternoon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None_%281945_film%29
 
I was captivated- I had never seen it or heard the poem it features before and thought it was so clever- not that I advocate murder- I just really thought it was a brilliant story full of suspense and the poem was powerful- seemingly innocent with sinister undertones. I sooo wanted to write a poem like that!! "Ten Little Animal Friends" shares lots of characteristics with "And Then There Were None" but I tried hard to put my own stamp on it. I also tried to achieve the same nursery-rhyme style rhythm that makes "And Then There Were None" so powerful. 


Something else that could have been a source of inspiration was something that happened during my school days. I think I was in either year 8 or year 9 of secondary school, so I would have been 13 or 14 years old. My class was sent to the library and we all had to choose a book to do some quiet reading. My friend couldn't find anything she liked and as time was running out she quickly picked a very thin paperback book that looked as though it was aimed for primary school children. We both laughed at her choice and got on with reading. Anyway at the end of the lesson, my friend turned to me and said something along the lines of "You know, this is actually a really good book!" She told me that it was about a mysterious Bentley car that had only ever been owned by men with the name "Edward"- and something bad always happened to them. We read it together that lunchtime and were amazed at how brilliant the story was. How better to learn not to judge a book by its cover! Somehow, as with "And Then There Were None" the appearance of simplicity made the dark emerging story even more ominous and menacing...Scary stuff! I guess that's why I used the idea of animal friends going out to play. I'd really love to hear your comments!




Ten little animal friends

By Melanie Jay Narayanasamy

Ten little animal friends all went out to play
But only one came back home that same day

The Spider, the Hyena, the Magpie, the Snake and the Cat most Curious,
All set off calmly without making a fuss!
And they were joined by the Robin, the Grizzly Bear, the Mole, Piggy and the Wise Little Owl,
At first beaming with laughter without so much as a growl!

But through the flaws of carelessness and neglect
Certain actions began to show their effect

It started when Spider told a lie and spun a web of deceit,
The web tangled him up and he tripped on his feet


So to continue the journey he had to decline
Thus the ten little animal friends became nine

Hyena saw what happened to Spider and she laughed till her tummy ached
She laughed so hard, she ended up choking and wouldn’t wake


The others couldn’t do anything but leave her in a state
So off went the animal party now transformed to eight

Before leaving Magpie took Hyena’s ring from her paw
He got found out and was sent away for breaking the law



So with another member unable to proceed
The seven remaining went at a speed

During the journey Snake decided to spread gossip to poison Magpie’s name
The poison rebounded and he just wasn’t the same


The others couldn’t find an antidote to remedy the way he got his kicks
So very quickly the party of seven became only six

Curious Cat was restless so she took Snake’s poison to mess with her head
But she’d already used up her nine lives and ended up dead


It would have been quite nice to keep her alive
But it was not to be, so death turned six into five

Robin disturbed Cat’s funeral with his tiresome song



Grizzly Bear pushed the Robin telling him it was wrong


He pushed much too hard and Robin became still and no longer sang
Grizzly Bear felt bad and cut himself falling with a bang

Two events spreading effects to such a degree
Since first five became four then, four became three

Mole heard what happened but he secretly hated Grizzly Bear so he went to bed and let him bleed
His sleep lasted too long and he forgot to take his feed



The animals left the Mole behind to catch his forty winks
Noticing for a moment that his heart did not rise, nor did it sink
They walked and reminisced about the time they’d been a queue
And how they’d reduced so rapidly to only two

Later as hunger struck, Piggy ate all of Mole’s dinner as well as his own
Which made him keel over and clutch his tummy with a moan


On reflection Piggy regretted his diet but with the situation too late reviewed
The remaining friend was left in solitude
All the events had undoubtedly triggered
The ten little animal friends to be a troop no longer double-figured
The neighbours were most concerned
When they found just one had returned

One wise little Owl sat on a branch full of woe

Unlike his friends he realised that you reap what you sow



© Melanie Jay Narayanasamy 2011

3 comments:

  1. Melanie i'm LOVING your blog and this poem had me smiling sooo wide! Love the nursery rhyme rhythm hehe, always resonates with my child's heart lol! It def acts as a beauuutiful cutsie brush over these menacing characters and their naughty traits, and the fact that they all perished bar one, bless. Have you ever read Chicken Licken? Was a favorite of mine when I was little.. I read it to my sister last month and was totally gobsmacked by the ending - i had no recollection of it lol, awww. Oooo that reminds me, i'm going back to Clevedon on the 22nd July so will read Meg your gorgeous poem, yaaay can't wait to see her face!! *PreciousPandaHugs* for you Tink!! Btw the pictures really compliment your delightful poetic voice, you had me giggling! Wonderfully woven together ~ or maybe unravelling apart would be a better description hehe ~ it's BRILLIANT!!! I totally dig the ending too "One wise little Owl sat on a branch full of woe, Unlike his friends he realised that you reap what you sow" WHOOOOT!!.. now that was a powerful, memorable and wise ol' punch line.. Thank you for sharing from your cherished treasure chest of magical treats!! I really look forward to reading more! Love youuuu forever and ever and ever and ever!! hehe <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt!!! You have no idea how utterly happy I am you like the poem! I thought it was quite a dark one, and I was wondering what my fellow talented poet you'd make of it! Thank you so much lovely! Magical WordMaster, your compliments are a beautiful message, which I shall treasure :D

    You know, "Chicken Licken" definitely rings a bell, but I have never read it, and will most certainly look it up- I'm very intrigued!

    I'll message you before the 22nd to wish you a safe journey, I'LL be so excited! Let me know what Little Fairy Meg thinks of Fairy Wings (when you have time- most of all enjoy yourself with your beautiful family!)

    Hey, if you don't mind, I would be honoured to present "Special Treasure" on the blog- would you like that? You say hat this is a treasure chest, and I think that without it, a precious gem would be missing!

    Will have another poem and Rhyme 4 ALL on the blog hopefully later tonight! Love you my sweet, cherished Special Pal Matty, cutesy kisses and panda hugs in trazillions! XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh mel, what can i say? Another amazing poem! Loved the nursery rhyme rhythm, it's lush fair play. You must have so much talent to be able to write a poem this fabulous. Absolutley amazing poem :D Shawny xoxo

    ReplyDelete